The Evening Muse, Charlotte NC

This blog is dedicated to sharing my thoughts about and photos of performances at The Evening Muse in Charlotte, NC. The Evening Muse is a special place which affords singer/songwriters the opportunity to showcase their talents in a warm and friendly environment. It's a place where undiscovered future "stars" can be seen. www.theeveningmuse.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Monty is a freelance photographer and avid music fan located in Charlotte, NC. He has been documenting the world through still photography for over 30 years. Monty's website is meant to both share online images and support the acquisition of prints/merchandise of those images by those whom desire to do so. Monty's travels have brought him to several corners of the world. "The ability to share these travels and my personal interests with friends and family has proven to be both an inspiration and a great source of personal satisfaction for me. Inspiration and satisfaction tend to sum up to balance which is something I treasure greatly."

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Liz Durrett & Tin Cup Prophette


January 16th 2009 - A couple of artists put on uniquely different shows during The Evening Muse early show this Friday night. I had not seen either of these singer / songwriters perform previously and is generally the case, I'm glad I took the advice of friends and attended on this night.

As Liz Durrett began her set, I wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea so to speak. But soon, the diversity of her talents began to unveil themselves to me. At times she has a booming and dark voice. At other times her voice is smooth and soft, as though singing a lullaby to a newborn. Many times it a combination of the two, ebbing and flowing with the words and meaning behind her song. As you watch Liz perform it's as if she goes somewhere else in her mind, playing a video in her head of the people, places and things contained within her song. Whatever the case, she has a new fan in me as I'll keep an eye out for her return.


Amanda Kapousouz (Tin Cup Prophette) supported her friend Liz during the first half of the show and then took center stage for the 2nd half. I was not at all sure what to expect. I had read a number of stories about Amanda and her very unique life story - a movie wouldn't surprise me - ans I had listened to a couple of tracks on her MySpace page. I thought she's be pretty good - but man I had no idea she'd be that good. There's some musicians you want to just listen to - the complexity of their sound so robust you find yourself concentrating on every note in anticipation of what will come next. Amanda uses technology to her advantage - fully. If you close your eyes and listen, you'll swear there are at least six musicians on stage - instead of the two you observe with your eyes. This was a show you watch with your ears - you'll see so much more! My first experience with Tin Cup Prophette was just that - my first, but certainly not my last!

Photos of both sets can be seen at this link - Enjoy!

Cheers,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home