The Evening Muse, Charlotte NC

This blog is dedicated to sharing my thoughts about and photos of performances at The Evening Muse in Charlotte, NC. The Evening Muse is a special place which affords singer/songwriters the opportunity to showcase their talents in a warm and friendly environment. It's a place where undiscovered future "stars" can be seen. www.theeveningmuse.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Monty is a freelance photographer and avid music fan located in Charlotte, NC. He has been documenting the world through still photography for over 30 years. Monty's website is meant to both share online images and support the acquisition of prints/merchandise of those images by those whom desire to do so. Monty's travels have brought him to several corners of the world. "The ability to share these travels and my personal interests with friends and family has proven to be both an inspiration and a great source of personal satisfaction for me. Inspiration and satisfaction tend to sum up to balance which is something I treasure greatly."

Friday, February 08, 2008

Ali Marcus


Here's a heads up for all you music fans - a wonderful singer/songwriter out of Seattle who plays a cool harmonica in addition to a melodious acoustic - her name is: Ali Marcus
I had the good fortune this past Thursday evening of deciding that watching "Lost" on TV just wasn't the thing to do, so I headed down to The Evening Muse to listen to a little music.
I got there a little early so I ordered a beer and looked around. I saw a lady in the corner with her nose in what I thought was a book. As I approached her I noticed she she was also sitting next to a small suitcase with some T-Shirts and CD's around so I guessed that this might be Ali. I walked up to her and introduced myself. She was reviewing lyrics, not reading a book. She chuckled as she said it was something that she should have down earlier, but that didn't happen so now was the time. Her soft voice, her self-confidence and the ease with which she struck up a conversation struck me as - well not odd - but a little unique I guess. Those of you who know me know that I'm not a small person and just my size tends to initimidate people. Not Ali - she was cool with the short conversation as well as with my request to take a few photo's of her show. In fact her response was something like - "Do what you want to". I chuckled at that.
As she took the stage and went right into her first song it was quickly apparent that as a songwriter she was not made up of a simple bit of poetry but rather a somewhat complex set of intellectually derived lyrics that deserved a little concentration on my part. Additionally she played tunes that were downright humorous if you followed along. I soon found myself tapping my foot along to the beat.
Needless to say I spent the $12 on her new CD titled "The Other Side". Folks, there's not a bad song on this CD. It sounds great!! She has a few of the tunes available on her website as well. Have a listen - you'll enjoy it. You should also note that in addition to the singing and playing of the instruments on the CD, she wrote the songs and also produced the CD. I found that impressive. Pick yourself up a copy of this album. It's available online - and it's $12 - a great value for what you'll get.
So, instead of watching "Lost" I saw a great show and found another young talent to keep my eye on in the future. I know I'll be hearing of this young lady in the future.
Links to the images of the show are here.. Check her out.
Until next time,
Cheers,

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home